Thursday, March 25, 2010

green dreams.


So, I bought a magazine yesterday, Peppermint, and, just like Frankie, I think I'll continue to save my pennies for it. It's all about 'fresh green fashion' and it's incredibly inspiring. It was also a surprise to see renee-anne on the front cover, whose blog I've been following for a while. She creates some very pretty illustrations, takes equally pretty photos, owns a vintage store, co-curates art shows with Leeloo, and 'repurposes to make pretty things'. She's a rather talented lady.
I've grown to be rather passionate about the environment of late. I've recently gone vegetarian and don't think I'll ever go back. It's made me feel so much healthier, almost pure in that I feel like its detoxified my body. We've also been trying to buy as much local and organic produce as possible, which turns out to be really satisfying as it tastes better and you're helping out and meeting some amazing and passionate families. I've also aimed to opp shop all year (save essentials of course), which has, so far- touch wood, been quite easy, cheap and fun. I keep learning about the many little things that i can do to make a difference, even if they're small, and sometimes I can't help but take up the challenge. I guess, if I don't do these little things, which realistically aren't going to dramatically change things, if at all, I feel incredibly guilty. It's also people with attitudes who believe that these little things won't make a difference to the future of the environment or the lives of destitute peoples, that are contributing to its continuance, if that makes sense. If everyone did little things to help, the world can and will be transformed. What I eat and how I spend my money are the only political acts I can do on a daily basis. It makes me wonder why more people in this community aren't doing extra to help, especially when it's not hard. Even kids at my school; they're educated, they understand how influential their behaviour is to the environment, to the world, but they choose to ignore. It escapes me how indolent and sheltered some people can be; I don't know how they can live and continue pretending that the luxury they live in is common throughout the world and will continue for the rest of mankind.


I've been thinking one day, if I was to ever open a gallery it would have an ethical purpose. All art that would be displayed and sold within the space would have been produced ethically, maybe conveying an ethical message too. Perhaps I could support artists who use purely recycled or organic materials, or maybe struggling aboriginal artists living in poverty in the northern territory who are being exploited by the fine arts industry. It would mean I could travel, visit remote or even poverty stricken communities, inside and outside Australia, and source artists utilising sustainable methods and practices. It's basically my three passions combined- art, travel and ethics both social and environmental.

I've also been thinking, which is most convenient as I should be studying for exams, that next year, if i have a gap year, I'd like to develop a body of work using only recycled and organic materials. I'm disappointed my visual arts major work won't be as environmentally friendly as I'd like, kind of contradicting the concept behind the work (how we, as people, have the ability to shape the environment and also how the environment shapes our identity). In Peppermint, they reviewed the book, Green Guide for Artists. It's the kind of book I wish I wrote myself. I'm so very eager to get my grubby mitts on it pages and exploit it, once my life is redeemed that is.


My rant is thereby concluded :)

illustrations by renee-ann from her flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment